Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Direct Mail Thumbs & Roughs


I know, I know, the quality sucks on my thumbs and roughs displayed here. I'm going to try and get them scanned in if I can instead. I  made some different versions, placing the logo in different places, breaking up the logo into type and beard individually, etc. Eventually I decided upon two, the short abrupt, attention getting copy, or the letter style. If at all possible in my final draft, a combonation of the two is my goal. I really want the reader to see the large copy and be interested in....what the heck is this beardmail I'm receiving? and to read into the details more. The real goal is to drive them to the facebook page. There is just too much explaining to do on a single direct mail piece. The target audience isnt just male college students. The beard crowd appeals to certain groups of people. A large majority of college males are interested in excercising their new rite of passage in beard growing. A large concentration of these burly men can be found roaming the halls at the tech center, construction majors, automotive, wood tech. The quote"manly" profession majors. But one cannot overlook the bearded creative people. Us dudes sporting the beard in graphic design, and advertising are relavent audience members as well. However, the purpose extends past the face warming quality or manly image of most machinary inclined guys. The creatives will see it as a statement about their style, or unique look more often than not. Or to say...."sure, I paint pretty pictures, but don't forget I'm a man. See, I have the beard to prove it!" One cannot zero in on just the male crowd either. I'm not saying you'll see a bunch of women toting a stache with pride (except for the fake ones being handed out at Novembeardfest), but there are women out there that like a bearded man. Careful consideration must be taken into the copy and style of the ad, as to focus on the key demographics while not excluding the outlying ones. An approach that is creative, funny, and manly at the same time, while also letting the girls know about the social aspect of the event would be something to bear in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment